Monday, August 10, 2015

Forbes: Colorblind Secrets Your Colleagues Won't Tell You

By SIMON CONSTABLE

It never ceases to amaze me how unaware many colleagues are about a very common affliction: colorblindness. I have it. So does Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, according to a report in the New Yorker and others.
Here’s what you need to know.
We can see colorsTotal inability to see color is very rare. What we do see isn’t the same as what you see. For instance, the color red is less vibrant for me. But, there are some things I’ll be able to see better than you, like certain camouflage patterns. Seeing the world in a different way can be an advantage.
Your color presentation is incomprehensible. This is especially so when it is full of charts with seven shades of pastel colored lines. All the lines are indistinguishable. My bank does similar with a pie chart of my investments: brown, green, red, beige, and black. It’s so confusing to look at that it’s meaningless. The consultant recommendations on what colors are best for presentations are probably wrong. Go with grayscale instead, unless you want to confuse us.
Read more here.

No comments: